Oh this is a simple one, but then do I have eight items/things??? Jeez, that is one too many if you ask me!! Alright, let me give it a shot.. ;o)
- Am a contradiction of sorts. i love going out and having a good time with friends, and i can also stay home chill out over a book or a movie.. Am very passionate about writing, so give me a topic and watch me float away into wonderland... I Am crazy about music,books,friends and my doggie... :)
Thursday, February 27, 2014
Oh this is a simple one, but then do I have eight items/things??? Jeez, that is one too many if you ask me!! Alright, let me give it a shot.. ;o)
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Compared to today's task yesterday's was a piece of apple pie.. err, meant to say it was fairly easy!! Ok, let me give it a go and see if I can come up with 9 things about myself..
1. Slow connections- I take time getting close to people. I might hang out, do a movie, casual meeting, concert etc with many, but there are very few with who I am extremely close with. And these are people I have known for years, or just felt comfortable enough to get close to. And if I am your friend, I remain your friend for life [unless you do something that goes against what I believe in or take me for granted and trample all over me]
2. Space- I value my space the most, and once again I am not talking about the physical space [well that matters as well] but am referring to my personal space. There are times when I want to just be, by myself, and then there are certain aspects of life that I am not comfortable sharing with the world and sundry. So, if you know me well, then you are an important part of my life and I value our bond.. :)
3. Dogs- Yes, I am crazy about dogs, they mean the world to me. I have one dog for now- Floppy [who lives at my grandparents house] and I miss him oodles. Seven years ago, on Pongal morning while I was walking to the nearest store, I spotted him standing huddled under a water lorry. I spotted him there after an hour, looked around saw none and brought him home.He is my sweetheart. As for cats, well, I dont really like them, but let them be as I have friends who are crazy about these felines.
4. Books - Give me a book and watch me drift away to la la land. I can spend an entire day doing nothing but reading. I used to be very possessive of my books, but now I am open to lending them to friends [again I am picky about who I lend to]. If there are any genres I am not into they are Sci Fi and Fantasy.
5. Travel - I recently discovered my love to travel. I have travelled quite a bit within our country, most of which was through school and college. But since then I have been exploring quite a few places within Tamil Nadu and outside on my own, I admit that few were with company. I want to discover our country, I want to travel the world...sigh [ would someone like to sponsor my life?] . When I travel, I let go, I am free, I don't care, I connect with locals, I love to learn the local culture, food and customs, and I am not one of those who needs a lavish resort to stay in. Give me a decent hotel with a clean bathroom and am happy!
6. Patient- For someone who used to be extremely hot tempered am now the epitome of patience. I seem to have bottomless pit of patience, esp with children. Sometimes am amazed at myself, but am glad I am so patient. I must thank Vipassana course for grounding me!
7. Time of the day - I am not a morning person, no way! You will not find me chirpy and peppy at 5 am, unless am travelling or going for a heritage/bird walk. I can stay up till 5 am and be happy and chirpy.. :-) There have been days when I haven't slept a wink but been in a good mood come morning.
8.Google - I love to collect information, I love to ask 100 questions and learn about something new, and I do this all the time. There are a few friends who call me the local Yellow pages while others call me Google... I guess am just the curious kind who is constantly learning [not just about things/places around me but elsewhere as well]
9. Art- I cannot draw or sketch to save my life. Mom is good at it, so is my sister, somewhere it skipped me. After years of being sad about this, I discovered Origami, courtesy a friend. And now I am taking baby steps in making Origami pieces... and am learning the art of DIY.. Yayy!!
Phew! Now that am done with it, it dint seem so daunting.. Until tomorrow.
I am not a big fan of Tags and have managed to wiggle out of quite a few over the years. Today morning while reading a friend's blog, I stumbled upon this tag and it looked interesting and so I am gonna give it a shot!!
1. Gils aka Vidhyasankar, a dear friend I met in the blog world about 6-7yrs ago got married today morning!! He is a guy who is full of life, funny, quirky and sweet.. Met the beautiful couple last evening at the reception, and I wish them all the very best in the years ahead... :-)
2. Mom - There is so much I want to say, but I wonder if I should or just hold the silence... I wish you "listened" to me when i spoke/shared, I wish you expressed your feelings towards me, I wish you "told me" how proud you are of what I have done in life....
3. An - You are more than a friend girl, you are my pillar of support and I am blessed to have you in my life. I lost track of the number of times you have pushed me to do things, the days when you gave me a shoulder to lean on, the way you let me rant and rave.... Love you mach.
4. Ni- Another dear friend- well, I never thought I would find a soulmate in you.. I feel blessed to know you.. I do wish you stood your ground, and realised how proud we are of you, and how capable you are... I wish you were more confident and took pride in yourself. Hugss di..
5. P - well, I am lost for words. Whenever I see people around me talk about relationships, siblings it makes me wonder if we would ever have even 1% of that. Oh well.. as long you are happy, am ok with this!Just remember, I am not out to get you..
6. E- Uncle or bro, I dont really care.. I just wish we were more in touch dude...
7. Ar,Ap & Sr- Well, you are all ladies who have been in my life at various times.. Some longer than the others... I wish you well, and hope you know that friends are not just someone who you lean on for help, call to rant & crib and you dont take them for granted... ever...
8. SL - I have a mini battle going on in my head everything I think of you... It has been interesting being connected to you, I have learnt a lot - good & bad, but at the end of the day it kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth [I know more than you think I do.. and that hurts].. Good luck to you!
9. GQ- I just want to tell you that you are an awesome bunch- we do crazy things, we share, we talk, we cook, we eat, we party, we celebrate, we fight, we bitch but at the end of the day we are there for each other!! Kudos and may we always remain so..
10. AB- Well, my man- what can I say? It makes my day when I get a msg from you, and everyday I remember the little lessons you have taught me!
Sunday, February 23, 2014
Sunday, February 16, 2014
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
I am not against people who love to shop
I am not against people who throw lavish parties
I am not against people who bring in all comforts into their space
I do wonder why they spend?
What is it they seek?
Do they want attention?
Do they seek appreciation?
Do they have a sense of fulfillment when they spend?
Do they just do it cos they have the money?
Do they do it to show off? and the biggest question is
Do they do it to buy friends/affection?..........
By "they" I am referring to all those who spend.. I am not saying I don't spend, but I am very careful.
I am not judging those who spend but just thinking aloud about the psychology behind it..
I am not one of those who preaches "instead of spending you should give it to the needy or deserving"...
I belong to the sect of people who thinks a million times before spending- be it for a new TV or a dress or a chocolate. There are friends who find me very amusing. I would go to an exhibition or sale and walk out empty handed and smiling. Some have offered to pay for things I desire, but I decline telling them "it is not that I cannot afford, I just don't find the need for it". Am sure some think am being thrifty, while others just think am weird, but it is ok!I am happy the way I am!
Take our weddings for example- Oh my god- How lavish can they get- book the biggest wedding hall, rope in the best caterer, order the best orchids in the country, buy the most expensive clothes & jewellery , pack return gifts for the world & sundry and still crib at the end of the day that it wasn't exactly what you dreamt off. People who came will also find something wrong, find the idli luke warm, the sambar watery and the gulab jamun slightly small in size [it would have been the size of your face and yet they complain]. When will people resign to the fact that "You cant, and you shouldn't aim to please the world and their cousins".. I have had enough arguments about this with friends and family- why don't you just put all the money you spend in the bank so the newly wed couple can pick up a house/furniture/etc or go on a long holiday ... But no, nobody wants to bell the cat, err the elephant in this case!
When I moved into this new apartment, I had people telling me of the things I should buy, of that I think I bought about .000001%... I picked up a Fridge & a sofa before moving in, but the TV after about a month or so, the dining table after nearly 3.5 months of living here and a floor lamp after 8 months.. heck, I dint have a wall clock forever, and now I have one courtesy a dear friend who sent it as a gift for my birthday :)
There was a problem with a faucet in the bathroom which I got fixed, so I have my priorities in place I guess.. :)
I am good with taking things at my own pace and figuring my way around life. A friend who came home commented on how I have very little things, too much space- I smiled and she knew the answer to that one :D I do enjoy spending for friends & kids- buying them gifts [esp books], sharing an experience/travel/movie etc...
Last month while I was in Pondicherry, a friend & I were sitting on one of the benches near the ocean in the French Quarters and generally yapping away. Every half hour or so someone would come begging for money. They would either linger for a few seconds and walk away or persist.
There was an old man who stood next to us for nearly 10mins, he was not physically disabled, spoke well which made us wonder why he dint just take up a job?
Then there was this other old man who came by, he begged and begged, but we dint offer him anything. And suddenly he began to touch our feet. This caught me off guard- I told him "please dont do this, you are much older than us, why don't you do something and make some money." He just stood there, attempted to touch our feet again and then walked away.
Few minutes later, a small boy came over with a bunch of stickers and said they were each Rs10. I am crazy about stationery, and stickers included. So took the bunch from him, picked out 3, gave him Rs40 [2 Rs20 notes] and he walked away. I was surprised [he dint even offer to return the extra Rs10] I let it slide cos he was a kid and hoped he used the money for something good. What surprised me even more was he came back in half hour once again selling stickers like he hadn't seen us before... :O
[Image courtesy: www.someecards.com]
Another incident that kinda irked me was when I had gone to a temple with a friend. There was a lady at one of the sanctums and she saw me and commented "all that you have in your wallet, you should give to God".. Seriously- what on earth is that? It reminded me of the numerous temples I've been to where the priests sing the same song "bla bla bla it would be good if you can give us something- say Rs 500 or Rs 1000 [they actually say the denomination preferred]" probably a reason why I don't enjoy going to temples as much. I would rather put some money in the Undiyal, say a prayer and be done with it!
Guess what am trying to say is this whole concept of Spending is very new and a strange world to me. Have given up trying to understand it and am happy being the way I am!
Monday, February 3, 2014
I know I havent visited you in a while, am sorry about that.. I promise to try and visit you frequently here on.
So 2014 made a grand entry and a month is gone by already. It has been a decent month, right? I brought the new year in with a bang amidst good friends and laughter, and then proceeded to do a leisurely relaxing fun trip to Pondy with a friend. Oh and let us not forget meeting that sweet friend in Pondy, who brings so much joy into my life and makes me take a deep look into myself…
Apart from that, have managed to do some interesting stuff- attend the Lit fest by Hindu, meet some new friends, reconnect with old ones and experiment some more with life. How can I not mention getting featured in the Deccan Chronicle – Chennai supplement on the front cover with a cover story featuring me and 3 other foodies from Chennai. And then came the 2nd month of the year, which started with me hosting my very 1st grand [well I would like to think it was grand] party at home for a few close friends. After a lot of hurdles, hiccups, obstacles and issues, the party happened- Phew!! And now, I am proud to say i know pretty much everything there is to know about where what drink is available, or which bootlegger to approach and how much it all costs.. ha ha.. Was quite an adventure and yet another new thing I attacked full on and came out a winner! Booyah!
Am quite kicked about the fact that I have been doing well on the projects I have taken up [on the personal front]. What are they? I am doing the #100happydays theme on Instagram [cross sharing the images on Facebook and Twitter], am on Day 34 today and everyday has bought something that made me more than just smile. The other things am part of is The Magic [doing the 28day thing from the book, it is all about Gratitude, saying thanks to people and things that make a difference] and finally, the Joy Jar- I don’t really know what it is called but this is what am calling it- I have chosen a jar that was gifted by a dear friend and put in notes describing things I did that helped me or someone else around me]. Roughly inspired by this page on Facebook
What does this month hold for me? Travel? New projects? Whatever it is, i sure hope it is something exciting and challenging. Am really excited about helping a friend get her site up and done, and another get going on his dream project.
See ya soon