I like my soup to be chunky, dont like it completely smooth. And one soup I love is the clear vegetable soup. I remember having a version of this in Cascade years ago. Last month one day I stood staring into the veg tray for a few minutes, shut the fridge and repeated the same once again. I gave up! I had 2 carrots, a small piece of cabbage, 1 onion, 1 potato, handful of fresh peas, 1 tiny bit of zucchini, 1 tomato and a small piece of tofu. I broke my head for a while and finally a lightbulb moment happened. I decided to make the soup for dinner and have it with 2 slices of multi grain bread.
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup cabbage
1/4 cup peas
50-60 grams tofu
1 liter water
2 cloves of Garlic
1 tsp vinegar
1. Chop all the veggies into cubes and set aside.
2. In a pan, add oil, saute the onions, garlic for a few minutes and then add the rest of the chopped veggies and saute them for 3-4 mins
3. Add water and allow it to come to a boil, cooking the veggies [if you want you can pre-cook the potato and peas]
4. Once the vegetables are all cooked, take a tbsp of the same and puree.
5. Add puree back to the boiling vegetables in water and let it simmer
6. Add salt and black pepper along with vinegar [this gives it a nice kick] and finally add the tofu. Let it boil for a minute and turn off stove
Your soup is now ready to be served!!
You can add any vegetable you can get your hands on- cauliflower, broccoli, beans, zucchini, mushrooms,pumpkin, squash, boiled chickpeas etc etc
You can also add an egg at the end- crack open the egg and drizzle from a height, and stir- this becomes an egg drop soup 😀
You can infact add a few spinach leaves if you have them [ quite like the change in colour]
You can make the same with meat as well
If you like it spicy and with heat, add few chopped red chillies
To make it a better meal, you can toss in some boiled noodles/pasta/macarooni
Similarly, a bay leaf will boost the soup’s flavour
As you can see, sky is the limit when it comes to soups!!