I love cooking, but when it comes to baking I hesitate because the recipes are complicated or it just boggles me [cos I have to follow the recipe to the dot, measurements etc]. But then I do push myself and experiment every now and then.. Apart from the one time I ended up burning a batch of cupcakes, I have managed to do a pretty good job and the end product tastes good as well. 🙂
And this year, I kinda made up my mind to do a lot more baking… So, now that it is strawberry season, well to be honest, the season is nearly done, I knew I wanted to go beyond just buying a box of berries and gorging on them… ! I managed to find a box of strawberries at my local store, they were nice big and juicy… Of the recipes I found, the one that caught my eye when I googled – “Eggless strawberry recipes” was this cake recipe from #BakeWithShivesh .. [ Yes, at home it is eggless baking/cooking only cos gramma does not eat egg]
This is super simple recipe, and takes less than 5mins to put together and 25-30 mins to bake! Not only that, it looks good, and tastes even better 🙂 Above all, it does not need any fancy ingredients, you will pretty much have all that you need in your kitchen. I made it once few weeks ago, and it was a huge hit, so on popular demand have made it again today.. Moist and flavour packed, this recipe is a keeper…
Recipe link- https://bakewithshivesh.com/eggless-strawberry-tea-cake/
- 2 cups (240g) maida ( all-purpose flour), sifted
- ½ teaspoon (2g) fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons (8g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (3g) baking soda
- ½ cup (120mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200g) castor sugar
- 1 cup (285g) Greek yogurt/ hung curd
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (170g) fresh strawberries, slices
** Apart from these, I added a few drops of strawberry essence – this adds additional flavour and colour to the cake..
- Pre-heat the oven to 180*C. Line a 9″ round pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine maida, lemon zest, baking powder and baking soda by whisking them together.
- In a separate bowl, beat the oil, sugar and yogurt together until everything is well combined.
- Beat in the milk and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix only until there are no large flour pockets. Do not over-mix.
- Use a spatula to carefully fold in some strawberries into the batter. Reserve the rest for the top.
- Transfer the thick batter to the prepared cake pan. Arrange rest of the strawberry slices on top
- Tip- to get that extra golden crust, evenly sprinkle about 1-2 tablespoons of castor sugar on top.
- Bake the cake at 180*C for 40-45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. [ I noticed mine were done in 25-30mins, so check and pull it out accordingly]
Doesn’t that strawberry slice look like a mini heart? 🙂