Sunday, September 28, 2014
Friday, September 26, 2014
You are in the 12th standard and there is talk about which college to apply to, where to go, what course to do but you are lost and confused. There are a 101 websites and brochures available but none of them give you clarity nor do they help you decide. This is also the stage when most parents enter the panic mode and start fretting over their child's future. They want their son/daughter to get into the best college, one that is reputed and ranked among the top to excel in their life.
Which is where Collegedunia.com comes in. The website is a one stop shop for all those seeking guidance in college applications. Founded by Sahil Chalana, Collegedunia is all about collating available data, putting in various parameters and enabling students and parents make wise informed decisions. They have information related to nearly 15000 colleges and universities across the country and are looking at ramping up to 30000 by the end of 2014.
Be it Science, Commerce, Medicine, Management or Engineering, there are colleges listed on this site with information on how much the fee is, whether there is hostel facility or not, what kind of courses they offer, whether it is full time or part time and much more, including information about student clubs. Infact, everything from IIT to other colleges are listed here, which gives the visitor a 360 view of what their options are. Back when I was getting into college, it was all about talking to friends and cousins who had completed their graduation, asking for their inputs and then picking out the one that fitted my preferences. How I wish Collegedunia.com had existed back then, would have been so much easier and I would have gone beyond my realms.
What is more, I discovered this site even offers insight into the entrance exams across categories as well. Visitors can also ask questions to counsellors through the site, add colleges to their shortlist cache and do all the research they need to before taking a decision.
But then I guess it is a boon for kids who are entering College phase now or in the future!!No more panicking and running around! If you’d like to know more, visit collegedunia.com or alternatively you can mail them at email@example.com.
Tuesday, September 9, 2014
I went from living with my parents, gramma and great grandma to living with my grandparents and now I live on my own.. Alone!
Here are a few little lessons I have learnt over the past year since I moved out,
1. When the bills come, you don’t get to put them away and forget about them- When you are living at home with family, you don't ever worry about bills, especially the EB, Water and land line bills. The only ones I ever paid were my own expenses, internet dongle and mobile bill. But now all the bills that land in my mailbox are meant for me and I need to pay them. Nobody cares if you are strapped for funds or why you have spent as much as you have.
2. The food you buy is all yours, or not.. -- If I have forgotten to buy groceries, then I have no food [ unless I decide to splurge and order in]. I buy bread or Dosa maavu, rava or semiya I can get by, else am left wondering what am gonna eat. And the best part is, I don't have to worry about what I eat and when. If I choose to eat a salad for dinner, then that is all I will munch on, or I might go all out and make pongal -sambar for dinner. I have also started carrying over food [ when there is too much, and it is good food and cannot be wasted]. It is ok, I don't mind!! I have had crackers and a glass of milk for dinner
3. Oh, no, there is a pile of dirty dishes in the sink... Umm, it is all mine. I have learnt there is no magical maid who is going to walk in and clean them up. I cook, I clean! So, I tend to reuse vessels a lot more and wash up right after a meal/drink instead of leaving it sitting.
5. Living alone is not lonely or scary- Don't know why most people assume living alone is scary or lonely. I disagree. I go to bed and sleep like a baby and perfectly happy being home alone. And the biggest quip of them all is there is a big big difference between being alone and being lonely. I have never been lonely. Even when i have no plans and am home, I have the TV on and watching a movie/show or the music is out aloud and am generally dancing.. There have been days when there was no power through the night and then other times when it was pouring like crazy with thunder just non stop. I plugged in my iPod and was enjoying the rains from the balcony.. :) I haven't heard any sounds or weird noises and am not the kind to get jumpy or freaked out. :)
6. Wear what you wanna or not... ;o) -- That is the biggest fun part about living on your own. You dont have to worry about being dressed up all the time. You can wear what you want, or not [ don't get ideas..].. You can wander about in a T-shirt and shorts or just a long T-shirt, or nothing at all ... But remember, if living alone and have houses around, better invest in curtains, wouldn't want to give free shows to the world, right?
7.It is incredibly liberating- The first day I slept alone in my apartment and woke up to nothing but silence, it was sheer peace. I have friends who come over whenever they are in the area and then there have been times when I have hosted dinners/parties at home. I also love coming back home knowing nobody has meddled with my stuff or touched my things [ dint I mention with you I had a bunch of OCDs] . You can invite people home without thinking too much, you can decide to get off on a trip, you can bring home a stray pup and take care of it for a few days, stay over at a friend's house cos it got late after the movie or she was scared to be alone... The joy of not having to check with others, work around their schedules is just amazing!
Tuesday, August 26, 2014
All those who know me, know that I love observing and watching people around me. It does not have to be people I know, it can be just about anybody..
Be it in a hotel or a railway station, or a bus stop or the shopping mall, I never go bored. For ex, there have been so many instances when I accompany friends who want to shop. While they are trying out outfits or poring over the racks, I will happily walk around observing people. No, it does not mean am busy staring at them, but it only means I observe their mannerisms and little quirks.
I watch the way they walk, the way their expressions change as they move over the collections, I sometimes even observe the way they make signs with each other [ silent communication]. And again, when in the station, people are sometimes standing with their bags, other times sitting on top of the suitcases. And then there are some who shift between legs waiting impatiently for the train. And then there are those who do nothing but talk on the phone or glare at others to a point to making them uncomfortable.
Recently, during a brunch at a high end restaurant with friends, there was a group of foreigners in the table next to ours. They all spoke English, but during the course of the meal, I figured they are not native English speakers. Few spoke in French, while one also said something in German and then there was another who spoke in a language I couldn't decipher. Again, within an hour of us being there, the decibels from that table went up and notch, rising every few minutes. Thought to myself " with every drink, their voice goes up a level". It is almost like they lose inhibitions and start speaking with no care in the world. Off late have also been spotting quite a few people who come out to dine busy on their phones, barely exchanging a word with each other.. I remember the time when I noticed a couple, sitting facing each other and both lost in their phones..
Similarly, when in a movie theater,there are people who sit and watch a movie like their life depends on it, while there are others who are constantly chirping with each other, and then the lot who are there just to piss off others by speaking aloud on their phones about the world and sundry. Oh how can I not mention the love birds[ nauseating] who come plonk in their seats, put their hands over each other's shoulders or are constantly touching each other. How do I know all this? well, there are times when am at a movie hall early and do nothing but watch others....
Oh and the one other place where you find a lot of people is the Hospital. There are people waiting, staring into space, some just standing around waiting for some update, and then others who walk up and down anxiously. I wonder what is going on through their minds- what news are they waiting for.. and say a silent prayer that things are alright..
A forward I received, worthy of sharing...
1. Not every girl wants to get married by 23. So before you ASSUME she's of marriageable age, ask her what her views on marriage are. One hint, might save you the drama- just because she does not want to get married now does not mean she never will. She has other plans for herself right now, let her live a little.
2. Just because a girl wishes to do her PhD after Masters does not mean she doesn't want to settle down in life. Give her a break, and respect the fact that she has the confidence to take that up, cos yeah, PhD is no joke. There will come a point when she would happily devote herself to her family, and balance it out with her work life. Her degrees, or lack of them, won't make any difference. Let her study while she wants to, okay?
3. Just because she is 27 and unmarried does not mean she's been rejected by many men. Maybe, being single is a choice she has made.
4. Having a boyfriend does not make her characterless.
5. Just because she has recently gone through a break up doesn't mean she is vulnerable and available.
6. Just because most of her friends are boys, does not mean she is "having a good time" with all of them.
7. Just because she has a drink in her hand does not mean she is an alcoholic.
8. Just because she wore a short skirt to one party does not mean she dresses up that way every day.
9. Just because she is ambitious doesn't mean she isn't a family person.
10. Just because she doesn't discuss her plans doesn't mean she's clueless about life. Give her a chance, alright?
11. Just because she is outspoken doesn't mean she is a rebel.
12. Just because she comes home late from work does not mean she is sleeping around with her colleagues.
13. After a hectic week, give her some time to relax over the weekend. Don't make that one weekend party make her look like a she's a frivolous party-girl without a job.
14. Just because she is out shopping alone does not mean she is depressed or lonely. It's how she relaxes, respect that.
15. Just because she is on a holiday alone does not mean she doesn't have company. Maybe it's a break to get back her lost confidence, or maybe that's how she is. Admire her spirit instead of giving her advice, okay?
16. Just because she is a woman doesn't mean she can't kick ass in military school.
17. Just because she has a tattoo doesn't mean she is attention seeking. Maybe that's her way of expression.
18. Just because she doesn't know how to cook doesn't mean she won't make a good wife. Remember when you were just married and cooked chicken curry which was um, a disaster?
19. Just because she likes everything pink and shiny and fluffy doesn't mean she lives in her own world. She can handle some situations much better than her male counterparts.
20. Just because she is pretty does not mean she is a whore. And just because she is friendly does not mean she is flirting with you.
Yes, we cry, we are emotional; we take things personally, and sometimes over-react to situations. But this does not give any one the right to judge us in the wrong way. Times are changing; don't confine her within those boundaries, no matter how orthodox you are. There are some who might be fighting this losing battle, yet compromising on their decisions and plans, just to please society. Respect n do share... :))
Monday, July 28, 2014
I don't get it!!!
I turn left, I turn right, I am constantly being stared at.. Why?
I say something, I do something, I am being judged.. Why?
When walking on the road, I notice people stop, stare and then pass on some shushed comments as they walk along.. Well, I wouldn't be bothered but there is a lot of pointing while they comment and that irks me to no end..
Infact, there have been many instances when I just flip a finger and walk away, but then I wonder "do they understand the meaning of the finger?"
Few days ago when travelling by auto on the Kotturpuram bridge, there was a guy on a motorcycle right next to the auto.. He actually turned, looked at me, spotted the tattoo on my left forearm. Auto went ahead, but then a second later I noticed him pulling up besides the auto again to slow down and stare some more.. He noticed my stare and pulled away. I smiled and knew he would quietly swerve to the other side and appear there a minute later, which is exactly what he did.. He infact came to the right side, turned left and once again on seeing me spot him turned and sped away...
Seriously? What gives people the right to do these kind of things? Don't they have any brains or don't they care?
Not just this, I have had people stop stare, comment and then walk away slowly, continuing to stare... Is it cos am big? Is it cos am tall? Wtf.. Would they be ok if I was to stop and stare at them and pass comments? [Not that I would]...
Last weekend, we were at a mall waiting for friends.. While we waited, I was generally looking around to see if there were any familiar faces when I noticed a woman [ she was not a girl, must have been in her 30s and since she dint behave like a lady, I call her "woman"] staring at me, looking me up & down [ not in a nice way, but in a derogatory manner.. How do i know? cos she had that look on her face...].. I stared at her for a good 2 mins before she took her eyes away... Gosh! what on earth is wrong with people?
I don't care what others think
I don't give a damn about their sneers/comments/snide remarks
But don't they have anything better to do?
I wanna scream
Thursday, July 24, 2014
Gone are the days when people spent hours in stores, going through rows and rows of products before making a purchase. Heck, I can’t remember the last time I did something like this. It is so much easier to just go online and surf through the deals and options available before picking out the one that catches my eye. Not only does it help me save time, but it is so much easier and convenient. There are times when am strapped for time and order a gift online and voila, it arrives at my doorstep and I don’t have to worry about not having time to shop or missing out on cool deals. J Phew, life sure has become so much better these days…
One such site I stumbled upon recently that has changed the way I shop is Zoutons.com. There are days when all I do spend a good amount of time window shopping, but then there are moments when I hop on to the site, click on the product I want and am done with my purchase in a few minutes. What is cool about this site is that it offers discounts and deals on products purchased from various other online ecommerce websites like Flipkart, Amazon, Snapdeal, Jabong, Myntra, Homeshop18, printvenue, Cleartrip and so much more.
The highlight of Zoutons.com is that it offers deals across product categories, so I can choose from clothes, gadgets, appliances, beverages, baby products, car accessories and a whole host of other verticals as well.
Last week when I wanted to buy a book for a friend, all I had to do was visit the site, click on Amazon link and in a matter of minutes, I was done selecting the books and completing the transaction. They sent an email confirmation and within the specified deadline, the product had arrived at my friend’s address…
So, next time you are looking to indulge in some retail therapy online, all you need to do is login to Zoutons.com and you will left smiling, no grinning away!! Alright, time to go now. Time to get dressed and show off that new outfit I picked up …
- Am a contradiction of sorts. i love going out and having a good time with friends, and i can also stay home chill out over a book or a movie.. Am very passionate about writing, so give me a topic and watch me float away into wonderland... I Am crazy about music,books,friends and my doggie... :)