tree is the symbol of abundance, of fertility, of sweetness”… Hmm… Interesting how such a simple looking fruit has so many secrets within!
When Jesus was leaving Bethany, he was hungry. On seeing
in the distance a fig tree, he went to find out if it had any
fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was
not the season for figs.Angered and disappointed, he said to the tree,
“May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him
- Prevent constipation: There are 5 grams of fiber per three-fig serving. So, it helps in healthy bowel function and prevents constipation.
Weight loss: The fiber in figs also helps to reduce
weight and is recommended for obese people. Take care – figs also result
in weight gain, especially when consumed with milk.
Lower cholesterol: Figs contain Pectin, a soluble
fiber. When fiber goes through the digestive system, it mops up globes
of cholesterol and carries them out of body.
- Prevent coronary heart disease: Dried figs contain phenol, Omega-3 and Omega-6. These fatty acids reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Prevent colon cancer: The presence of fiber helps to mop up and usher out cancer causing substances.
- Protection against post-menopausal breast cancer: Fiber content in figs give protection against breast cancer.
Good for diabetic patients: The American Diabetes
Association recommends figs for a high fiber treat. Fig leaves reduce
the amount of insulin needed by diabetic patients who have to take
insulin injection. Fig is rich in Potassium. Potassium helps to control
blood sugar. Fig leaves have anti-diabetic properties
Prevention of hypertension: People used to take more
sodium in the form of salt. Low potassium and high sodium level may lead
to hypertension. Figs are high in potassium but low in sodium. So, it
helps to avoid hypertension.
- Sexual weakness: Figs are known since ages for
reducing sexual weakness. Soak 2-3 figs in milk overnight and eat them
in the morning to enhance your sexual power. It also helps in gaining
- Strengthens bones: Figs are rich in Calcium. Calcium helps to strengthen bones.
- Urinary calcium loss: People having high salt diet may be affected by increased urinary calcium loss. Potassium content in figs helps to avoid that.
- Prevent macular degeneration: Vision loss in older people is due to macular degeneration. Fruits and figs generally are good for avoiding this condition.
- Relief for throat: The high mucilage content in figs, helps to heal and protect sore throat